- Create a software to detect animals in pictures and then identify separate individuals of the same species.
- Focusing mainly on Chital (Spotted Deer), create a dataset for the animals and then run software over it.
The aim is to help forest officials to take a census using images from motion trap cameras.
- Break up task into four steps:
- Creating a dataset
- Detection of animals in image
- Identification of individual
- Logging entry into database
- Study relevant courses and topics like CS231n, PyTorch, etc.
- Explore all previous work done in this field, look for resources that might aid the process.
- Compare current detection algorithms and modify them to adapt to Chital.
- Create an identification software that uses the individuals' spot patterns to distinguish them using neural networks.
- Finally, package the software into a presentable media/format.